The Asian Forum on Business Education (AFBE)
Co-organized & Hosted by
University College of Technology Sarawak
Sarawak Convention Bureau
WELCOME TO AFBE2016
AFBE in Brief
The Asian Forum on Business Education (AFBE) was established in Bangkok in 1992 as a mutual self-help group of business schools in Asia. The Forum was established largely at the initiative of Dr. Moejono Partosoedarso of the UN-ESCAP in Bangkok, in consultation with Dr. Manit Boonprasert, the Vice President of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, and Dr. Ruben C. Umaly, the Director of SEAMES in Bangkok. Others closely associated with the founding of the forum were Dr. Murray Frazer, the Dean of the Business Faculty at the Swinburne Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia, Dr. Om Huvanandana, the Director of the MBA Program at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, Dr. Roger Baran, of De Paul University, Chicago, USA., and Dr. Brian Sheehan, the Dean of the Business School, Phillip Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia.
Subsequently, Dr. Frazer was appointed as the Founding Chair of AFBE, and Dr. Sheehan became AFBE Secretary. This group of academics believed that with the increasing internationalization of business, and the very rapid growth of many national economies in Asia, it was increasingly becoming essential for those involved in business education to develop an international perspective. Dr. Moejono and his colleagues invited a small number of individuals from a number of countries to a conference in Bangkok in December, 1992. The purpose of this conference was to consider the need for, and possible establishment of, a group to assist in this internationalization of business education in Asia.
The AFBE Constitution subscribes to the following objectives:
- To encourage and support interaction between international business education and international business practice within the region in order to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of both.
- To review and analyse business development trends in the region in order to encourage the up-dating of relevant international business education programs to meet the changing requirements of countries within the region for educated and competent human resources.
- To harness competent and experienced human resources that are available from education, government and industry in order to support appropriate human resource development and management that will result in greater efficiency and effectiveness in international business practice within the region.
- To support, through all available means, such as communication among members of the forum, which will result in more effective student and lecturer exchange, and applied research and development as well as collaboration with relevant institutions, private enterprises and governments.
- To establish relations and co-operation with similar forums and organizations in non-member countries of the region and in other regions (e.g., Europe, America, Africa).
- To collect and disseminate relevant information relating to recent developments in business schools to interested members of the Forum.
- To secure financial and other forms of assistance in support of the program/project and activities of the Forum.
Partnerships and Affiliations
- AFBE is a member of the Asia-Pacific Quality Network (APQN), an association for quality assurance agencies in higher education in the Asia-Pacific region. APQN is supported by the World Bank and UNESCO.
- Supporting member of the United Nations Academic Impact initiative (UNAI)
- org - provides in-depth information on accredited online colleges in the US.
- Affiliate member of the Network for Education & Academic Rights (NEAR)
The AFBE Journal has been accepted for inclusion in CABELLS Directory, Texas, USA. Under the following areas: Accounting, Economics and Finance, Marketing, and Management.
Sarawak and Sibu in Brief
Sarawak is situated on the northwest of Borneo, bordering the state of Sabah to the northeast, Indonesia to the south, and surrounding the independent state of Brunei. The administrative capital is Kuching. As of the census (2010), the state population was 2,420,009. Known as the "Land of Hornbills", Sarawak is a haven of wonders of the natural world, a rich and fascinating history and a kaleidoscope of cultures with over 28 different and distinct ethnic groups. Sarawak is well positioned as a meeting destination with easy access, quality venues and accommodation, reliable service providers and affordability.
Sibu is a Sarawakian town rich with heritage and unsung beauty. A place where modernity and history exist in symphony, much like how the town sits at the confluence of the Igan and Rajang rivers. The town derives its name from the local Sibau fruit, or more commonly known as the Rambutan fruit which is called Buah Sibau' in native Iban. It is a place where the air is fresh, the rivers clear, and the sky like artwork throughout the day. Sibu is without a doubt, the most prosperous town in Rajang valley and serves as the main port of Rajang Basin. The population under jurisdiction of Sibu Municipal Council is approximately 260,000. Since 1957, Sibu town area has extended from 16 square wiles to the present 50 square miles (129.5 sq.km). It has a Central Business District (CBD), Sungei Merah market, the east bank of the Batang Rajang, including from island kerto to Teku Road, Oya Road and Salim Road.
Sibu is highly accessible via major international gateways such as Kuala Lumpur (capital of Malaysia, 5-6 daily flights), Kuching (capital of Sarawak, 5-7 daily flights) and Kota Kinabalu capital of Sabah, 2 daily flights). Sibu enjoys efficient flight links from other Malaysian cities such as Miri (3-4 daily flights), Bintulu (2-3 daily flights), and Johor Bahru (1 daily flight).
University College of Technology Sarawak (UCTS) in Brief
The UCTS is the culmination of the State of Sarawak's vision and commitment in establishing a world-class institution of higher learning to spearhead the development and production of highly qualified and technically competent human resource for Sarawak and the region. Our vision is to be a global technical university founded on science and technology. The University has been awarded with the Platinum Rated in GBI Index through its futuristic designed campus and state-of-the-art facilities. The campus incorporated planning, design and green architecture simultaneously and effectively to create a fully integrated, comfortable, user-friendly and conducive teaching and learning environment. The University offers programs at bachelor, master and PhD levels in engineering, technology, built environment, computing, and business. To know more about UCTS, please visit www.ucts.edu.my.